Business Visa

Sponsor Licence

The Sponsor Licence, also referred to as the Tier 2 Sponsor Licence, is crucial for UK employers intending to hire workers from overseas. This licence is also essential for educational establishments like universities that plan to recruit international students. Here’s a comprehensive guide on navigating the application process for a Sponsor Licence.

Recent Updates to the Sponsor Licence

Starting April 2024, the requirement for renewing the Sponsor Licence every four years will be abolished. Licences expiring on or after 6 April 2024 will automatically be extended for an additional ten years. However, licences expiring before this date must still undergo renewal under the current rules.

Overview of the Sponsor Licence

A Sponsor Licence enables UK-based companies to issue Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS) to eligible non-UK nationals, facilitating their applications for work visas, such as the Skilled Worker Visa. The process ensures that only verified employers can sponsor foreign workers, maintaining the integrity of the UK labour market.

Eligibility Requirements for the Sponsor Licence

To apply for a Sponsor Licence, your organization must:

  • Operate lawfully within the UK.
  • Be based in the UK.
  • Not pose a threat to UK immigration control.
  • Have dependable and honest key personnel.
  • Implement adequate HR systems to manage sponsorship duties effectively.

Specific Requirements for Businesses

Businesses must demonstrate that they are genuine entities legally operating in the UK. This includes being properly set up or based in the UK and having the appropriate planning permission for the business at the trading address. Even new start-ups are eligible to apply, provided they can demonstrate they have a UK presence and a corporate bank account with a UK bank registered by the FCA and PRA.

Application Process for a Sponsor Licence

  1. Determine Eligibility: Ensure your business meets the Home Office’s eligibility criteria.
  2. Prepare Key Personnel and HR Systems: Designate your key personnel responsible for managing the sponsorship process and ensure your HR systems are robust enough to meet your sponsorship duties.
  3. Compile Necessary Documents: Gather all required documentation that supports your application. This may include proof of business registration, financial statements, and evidence of compliance with UK employment law.
  4. Submit the Application: Complete and submit your application online along with the required fee. Be prepared for a potential compliance visit from the Home Office to verify the information provided in your application.

Maintaining Compliance

Once granted, it is crucial to maintain compliance with the Home Office’s requirements. This includes managing your sponsored employees effectively and ensuring all changes in your business that might affect your licence are reported promptly.

Work in the UK for Your Overseas Employer

  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Overseas Domestic Worker visa
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Representative of an Overseas Business visa
  • Apply for a Service providers from Switzerland visa

Temporary Work Visas

  • Seasonal Worker visa (Temporary Work)
  • Government Authorised Exchange visa (Temporary Work)
  • Creative Worker visa (Temporary Work)
  • Religious Worker visa (Temporary Work)
  • Charity Worker visa (Temporary Work)
  • International Agreement visa (Temporary Work)

Visas You Can Apply for Without a Job Offer

  • British National (Overseas) visa
  • Graduate visa
  • Youth Mobility Scheme visa
  • India Young Professionals Scheme visa
  • Apply for the Global Talent visa
  • UK Ancestry visa
  • High Potential Individual (HPI) visa

Start a Business

  • Innovator Founder visa

Other Work Visas and Permits

  • International Sportsperson visa
  • Minister of Religion visa (T2)
  • Scale-up Worker visa
  • Frontier Worker permit
  • Get an exempt vignette

Get in Touch

Want to know more? Contact us today!

Call us at 0208 050 0025 or Contact Us.

Let us help you navigate the complexities of hiring international talent.

  • Comprehensive Immigration Services
  • Sponsor Licence Applications
  • Assistance in Legal Matters